Pages

Sunday 9 June 2024

Hugely Iconic

 


Huge BBC series confirmed for return after 25 years


It turns out this prehistoric show hasn’t gone the way of the Dodo as after 25 years, Walking With Dinosaurs is returning. The iconic BBC show will arrive on screens next year as a brand new six-part series that takes viewers back in time to explore the extinct giants. Originally airing in 1999, the reimagined show will ‘tell the dramatic story of an individual dinosaur’ in each episode, according to the BBC. With so many dinos out there to choose from, Walking With Dinosaurs will focus on those whose ‘remains are currently being unearthed by the world’s leading dinosaur hunters'



Huge and iconic apparently. A huge number of things have become iconic in recent decades. From Google's Ngram Viewer -


7 comments:

Sam Vega said...

Ironic that icons are never iconic.

dearieme said...

I prefer Gin and Tonic. But each to their own.

A K Haart said...

Sam - but increasingly common.

dearieme - we don't drink it but I've noticed gin distilleries springing up all over the place.

Doonhamer said...

This is the Beeb. They will tuck it up. (tuck is a productive tusk change, but you get my drift.) I will not miss it. I will not watch it and I won't miss it.

A K Haart said...

Doonhamer - you are right, they will tuck it up. The Beeb doing another dinosaur show says something I suppose.

Doonhamer said...

Sam Vega. And things said to be incredible never are.
Ditto for "ultimate".
Is there a grammatical term for this linguistic distortion?

A K Haart said...

Doonhamer - yesterday I sat in a cafe near a young woman who inserted 'like' into what sounded like every fifth word. I don't bother too much about colloquial changes, but incorrect usage such as "it could of been me" does grate.