Pages

Tuesday 23 April 2024

Once I dipt into the future



Weather maps reveal when four-day 'mini-heatwave' to bring balmy 19C highs to UK

A four-day spell of hot weather is set to bring balmy highs of 19C to the UK next week. Brits will soon enjoy warmer weather, with the mercury anticipated to rise across many parts of the country.

Weather maps from WX Charts indicate it will start to heat up as we approach the early May bank holiday. It comes after heavy downpours and harsh winds have been sweeping Britain lately.

There will be highs of 17C on Thursday, May 2. The Midlands is predicted to see between 15C and 16C, while the south of the country could feel the warmest of the weather.



There seems to be a widespread editorial policy of slipping in words such as 'hot', 'heat' or 'heating' into UK weather stories where the weather isn't undeniably cold. Those huge fans we see all over the countryside must be something to do with official cooling policy.


Weather
Once I dipt into the future far as human eye could see,
And I saw the Chief Forecaster, dead as any one can be--
Dead and damned and shut in Hades as a liar from his birth,
With a record of unreason seldome paralleled on earth.
While I looked he reared him solemnly, that incandescent youth,
From the coals that he'd preferred to the advantages of truth.
He cast his eyes about him and above him; then he wrote
On a slab of thin asbestos what I venture here to quote--
For I read it in the rose-light of the everlasting glow:
"Cloudy; variable winds, with local showers; cooler; snow."

Ambrose Bierce

5 comments:

Sam Vega said...

Good news, anyway. I was worried whether my iguana would make it through.

A K Haart said...

Sam - mine made it but still refuses to go out for a walk.

Scrobs. said...

I'm still learning about how firms alleviate frost damage...

https://thegrapevinemagazine.net/2023/08/how-vineyards-can-protect-their-grapes-from-devastating-frosts/

And here am I, potting on geraniums, and hiding them under an outside table!

Frank Muir always liked quoting Ambwose Bierce (sic)! I still miss his fabulous humour, and a really good book is, 'A Kentish lad', if you would like to revel in the great man!

A K Haart said...

Scrobs - yes vineyards have some interesting ways to protect against frost damage. I must get a copy of 'A Kentish lad' because I know I'll enjoy it.

Doonhamer said...

Night before last we had frost.
Windmills keep frost at bay, but over the last few days they have not been spinning.
We were promised Warble Gloaming (© Grampa). Mediterranean gardens, etc.. Who can I sue?