Pages

Tuesday 16 April 2024

Male Talkers



I may have mentioned this before, but Mrs H and I often nip into a café for coffee. We’re retired and it’s one of the things we like to do when we’re out and about.

Something we’ve often noticed about cafés is the number of times we hear a man at another table who talks constantly, droning on and on for the entire time we are there. We’ve heard women talking at each other with barely a pause, but there are men whose talk is an incessant drone which seems to monopolise the conversation.

We came across an example today, a chap who seemed to be chatting away with a work colleague because he went on about such things as “pushing the boundaries” and other jargon we’re pleased to have left behind. His colleague, if she was a colleague, said something every now and then, but he hardly stopped talking at all.

The oddity of it is that neither Mrs H nor I can recall meeting such people during our working lives, not even at meetings. Men who never shut up weren’t part of our working environment.

11 comments:

James Higham said...

The woman was colleague or PA?

dearieme said...

Are you quite sure they are not AI bots?

Sam Vega said...

Latest stats show that large numbers of workers are off sick or retired early due to health issues- mainly mental health. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them feequent cafes, and if some of that number are inclined to be more expressive than their workplace allowed...

Scrobs. said...

The only time I can remember chatting with a chum at work like that, was when we had to stay over in a hotel in Exeter, and were having dinner.

My friend surprised me by saying that he was once a member of the Communist League, and then waffled on about Northern Ireland for ages, to which I chucked in some inane comment, at which he just exploded!

And then, his face became so red, I started to giggle, then laugh, then the tears came, and we were both sitting there, annoying all the other diners, totally absorbed in uncontrollable mirth, and bits of fish were flying everywhere!

I don't think I've ever laughed so much since that evening...

Bucko said...

My mum is a talker. She will ramble on about one thing and then immedately change the subject without taking a breath. We don't have conversations with her, we just listen to her.

My boss at work is worse. She's an interupter. She will interupt any conversation within earshot and take over. My colleagues will send me a message if they want to talk, and I'll go through to their office to see them

A K Haart said...

James - colleague I'd say, but it's a guess.

dearieme - I don't think he was because bots probably dress better, but she could have been a Tesla i-Companion 2.

Sam - good point, they do tend to sound manically liberated from something.

Scrobs - yes, for some reason hotel dinners with work colleagues can make for hilarious evenings. Meetings next morning tend to be subdued though - if I remember rightly. It's all a bit hazy now.

A K Haart said...

Bucko - I had an aunt who was like that. She could talk for an hour without pausing and we'd just listen while half switched off. It's surprising how many female interviewers are interupters, because it doesn't work as well as they seem to think.

Bucko said...

Yes, it can be annoying just listening, because very occasionally, you might actually have something to add
I'll have to take your word on the interviewers. I can't remember the last time I watched someone being interviewed

Anonymous said...

What is it that's said about empty vessels?
Sounds like one of the Self Righteous Brothers.
Penseivat

A K Haart said...

Bucko - to add that something you would have to become an interrupter!

Penseivat - empty vessels is right, they don't seem to say much worth listening too.

Bucko said...

A K Haart: 🤣👍