Pages

Thursday 4 May 2023

Five Tips



King Charles III: An alternative guide to the Coronation

Thousands are flocking to London, the bunting is starting to appear in every corner of the country and the aroma of Coronation Quiche is in the air.

But if you want to avoid all the pomp and ceremony, here are five tips for an alternative Coronation weekend.



Here are the tips. This could be an oldie's perspective on my part, but year by year the BBC seems to mould itself more and more closely to an audience it assumes must be dim.

  1. Avoid central London
  2. Go offline
  3. Escape to the country
  4. Look for alternative plans (Running out of ideas already)
  5. Curl up at home with some of our best content (Ideas all gone)

5 comments:

Bucko said...

Assumes must be dim? Most of them are dim

dearieme said...

Here's a predictive guide to The Coronation and Me.

(i) I shall keep calm and carry on.

(ii) From time to time I shall check with my wife to see if anything interesting has happened e.g. a Russian nuclear attack on Westminster Abbey or Buckingham Palace.

(iii) If there's any afternoon rugby on the telly I shall watch it; I expect to watch the football highlights later.

(iv) I shall attempt to persuade my wife that we should celebrate the day in Best of British fashion i.e. going out for some fish'n'chips in the evening. There's a chipper I want to try; Saturday may be my lucky day.

(v) If it's sunny and mild I may spend some time reading in the garden, dressed in shorts, wearing clip-on shades, and sporting an old, white, floppy cricketing hat.

(vi) If a celebratory drink is mooted I'll suggest that, in the absence of Dubonnet, we could toast the memory of Elizabeth II with a Martini Rosso and tonic with lots of ice and lemon. Or would a slice of orange be better? Please advise.

A K Haart said...

Bucko - and when we catch a glimpse of what they watch, it doesn't take long to wonder just how dim.

dearieme - it's not a great forecast for sitting in the garden in shorts. Sitting under an umbrella with that Martini Rosso and tonic with lots of ice and lemon could work although I'd go for a slice of orange - slightly more cheery if the weather does turn out to be poor.

Sam Vega said...

It occurs to me that someone in the BBC is following the money. They've looked at what sites get the most clicks, and found that it's the pages for dozy bored women in the Daily Mail.

Next week: five ways you can binge-eat and still look great in this stunning little dress....

A K Haart said...

Sam - the BBC may well have marketing people who tell them just that. The front page of the BBC news website soon descends into celebrity gossip and sport.