Some desire is necessary to keep life in motion, and he whose real wants are supplied must admit those of fancy. Samuel Johnson
Wednesday, 15 November 2023
The hallucinate hallucination
Cambridge Dictionary reveals word of the year – and it has a new meaning thanks to AI
Tools such as chatGPT have sparked a surge of interest in AI technology in 2023. However, as some people have learnt the hard way, AI-generated text can't always be relied upon.
The traditional definition of "hallucinate" is when someone seems to sense something that does not exist, usually because of a health condition or drug-taking, but it now also relates to AI producing false information.
The additional Cambridge Dictionary definition reads: "When an artificial intelligence (= a computer system that has some of the qualities that the human brain has, such as the ability to produce language in a way that seems human) hallucinates, it produces false information."
Strewth, what does a chap say about that? No mention of false information from the usual suspects of course. They are all certified 'fact-checkers', certified by themselves.
Labels:
technology
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Head of Counter-Disinformation would be The Fact Controller?
If I were trying to control people's thoughts and language, I would invent something that "hallucinated" so that I was able to claim that I was free of AI and therefore to be trusted.
Sackers - ha ha, that's worth pinching.
Sam - good point, we may be bombarded with stories about many more AI defects as media folk wonder if they will end up without a job in the next few years.
I refer to the ruddy things as Regurgitation Engines. Few of my zillions of readers seem inclined to complain.
I'm waiting for N.O. to present a video of Keepin' Out of Mischief Now delivered in the style of Bix and the Wolverines.
And I'm Coming Virginia in the style of Fats Waller.
dearieme - I think that's why journalists are wary of AI, regurgitation is what they do too. Original videos remade in the style of someone else could develop into a real mess.
Post a Comment