Pages

Monday 20 November 2023

Cromford canal walk


We went for a walk along Cromford canal this morning, hoping to see the last of the late autumn colour which we did. It's an interesting walk where road, canal, railway and river all follow the Derwent valley. Surprisingly quiet even for a weekday. Maybe folk are shattered after all those Christmas markets.


Late autumn colour on Cromford canal

Train leaving Whatstandwell station on its way to Matlock. When it comes to houses, location is everything they say. 


Train leaving Whatstandwell station, Derbyshire 

6 comments:

dearieme said...

We were tootling about midmorning one day last week. God, says I, doesn't the population look old and ill?

Since the fit people of working age, and the school pupils, and the students, were all busy indoors I suppose the conclusion was obvious.

Oh to be 25 again! Except what would I do for a living? The universities are all polluted, science is corrupt, the worlds of law or finance would bore me to tears, I don't want to enter a career in the blood-and-puss-filled hospitals, and writing computer programs for other people to use would surely be frustrating. Fly? Sounds too much like driving a bus but with less excitement. Yer Armed Forces? Not bloody likely.

What?

A K Haart said...

dearieme - I've no idea what I'd do for a living if starting again at 25. It isn't easy to think of a congenial job where there is absolutely no necessity to deal with anyone who happens to be bonkers. Maybe a long distance coach driver, but I can't think of much which appeals now.

microdave said...

I wonder if the occupants of that house say "Did the earth move for you, darling" every time a train passes underneath?

A K Haart said...

Dave - ha ha, every hour too!

Sam Vega said...

Just to note that Whatstandwell is a great name for anything, and especially for Victorian kitchen equipment.

I suppose it's pronounced Wass-Well or Wozznall or somesuch.

A K Haart said...

Sam - everyone we know pronounces it What-stand-well, but I bet you are right and those who live there call it something like Wass-well. I would.