Pages

Thursday 23 November 2023

Maybe it could be a cause too



Can music help treat a severe brain injury? London hospital launches UK-first trial

London scientists on Thursday launched the UK’s first trial into whether music therapy can help patients recover from severe brain injury.

The trial, at the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery in Bloomsbury, will assess whether activities like playing an instrument or singing could help patients with stroke and aphasia.



The thudding music which occasionally blasts out of passing cars does lead a chap to wonder about brain health. Only in a general sense of course, not in a severe brain injury sense. Not quite.

Drivers often seem to have small heads for some reason, but maybe that's just perspective from the pavement. Yet a small head could possibly leave them less insulated against minor sound damage. Or maybe it's too late anyway.

6 comments:

Bucko said...

I grew up with thudding music, but considering how 'scientists' in these area think of music, I don't think it would help me with a brain injury
They would probably play me something like Bach or Mozart, which would make me slip even further into a coma

A K Haart said...

Bucko - I assume it would be any music they still enjoy or are known to have enjoyed in the past.

My aversion to loud thudding music came during a student concert I went to with the future Mrs H. Even at that impressionable age we knew the music was far too loud. I still remember a young chap sitting against the speakers and we both knew he wouldn't come away entirely unscathed.

Sam Vega said...

One of my students had a car modified to be a giant speaker for a very sophisticated sound system. Huge speakers in the doors, and extra struts added in the boot to strengthen it. Apparently it's a thriving sub-culture. I should have made a note of his final exam grades.

A K Haart said...

Sam - a while ago I read about people in the US doing this and it was said that their standard of achievement was to blow the car windows out.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if anyone has considered that it's a certain type of music which caused the brain injury in the first place? In the late 50's and early 60's, it would likely be something like Jess Conrad's "This Pullover" or Frankie Vaughan's "Tower of Strength" being repeatedly played on the radio.
Penseivat

A K Haart said...

Penseivat - and Ken Dodd's "Happiness" must have destroyed millions of brain cells.