Pages

Friday 3 November 2023

Butter Curls

 

Source 

Mrs H and I were chatting about butter curls and butter curlers this morning. We haven't seen butter curls for ages. The places we favour with our custom all supply butter in those little packs which are often too cold to spread because they come straight from a catering pack in the fridge.

Presumably curls of butter made at home would warm to room temperature quickly enough to spread easily without waiting for ages. Unfortunately we've never owned a butter curler, so we've never mastered the curling technique either.

I must speak to the butler about it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

When presented with these tiny packets of butter, try squeezing them a little first, as the pressure raises the temperature inside. My 8 year old grandson told me that. Clever little sod!
Penseivat

A K Haart said...

Penseivat - sometimes I just put the packet on my warm teacake which works quite well, but sometimes too well and it melts. Still edible though.

Sam Vega said...

At current rates of accelerating global warming, we will never see curled butter again.

dearieme said...

I remember the butter dishes all sitting on the fireplace when I was boy, warming up before our meals.

A K Haart said...

Sam - and with no electricity we won't see butter at all.

dearieme - I remember that too, although we had no fridge so it wouldn't start off as cold as it does now.

dearieme said...

We didn't have a fridge either. I didn't entirely understand my mother's reluctance to adopt some technologies: for instance, she stuck by a twin-tub washing machine for ages.

A K Haart said...

dearieme - my parents stuck with a twin-tub for ages too. We inherited one when we were first married but soon changed to an automatic.