Pages

Tuesday 14 November 2023

Christmas market
















We visited the Chatsworth Christmas market today. A long day and not one of our usual haunts, but we enjoyed it. It was a freebie which always adds a certain something. The house was certainly decked out at what must have been enormous expense. Impressive too, even from the perspective of this Christmas cynic.

I don't know if this is a local perspective, but from what I see Christmas is being pushed particularly hard this year. Our local garden centre is more of a Christmas grotto than a garden centre. So much so that we won't be going back until after Christmas. It certainly doesn't have the Chatsworth look.

2 comments:

Sam Vega said...

It's interesting to look at the different styles or aesthetics for Christmas design and decoration. The NT did up Petworth House in a very dark and gloomy style a few years ago; both impressive and strangely oppressive.

None of them do much for me, but the worst I know is Tesco. I saw the first pile of Christmas-themed pies and sweets a couple of days ago, and the tackiness just jumped right off the cardboard and slapped you in the face.

A K Haart said...

Sam - we haven't been inside Tesco lately, but I can easily imagine the tackiness. All the supermarkets we visit manage to be particularly tacky at Christmas. M&S light-up gin bottles are the ultimate for me though.