Pages

Sunday 5 May 2024

Doppelgänger



Yesterday, while sitting in a café, we saw a chap who resembled our nephew to a quite remarkable degree. He was a little younger, but face, mannerisms, body shape, voice and the way he laughed were so similar that we had to look twice to make sure it wasn’t him. Then again to make absolutely sure.

We knew it wasn’t our nephew because he lives in London and the age wasn’t right, but the resemblance was so remarkable that apart from the age difference he could have been an identical twin.

Yet we couldn’t very well take a photo of him and there was no point telling our nephew's parents about the resemblance because these things have to be seen to have that double-take effect. Spooky though.

6 comments:

James Higham said...

Spooky indeed, AKH. I saw similar … of me … in a photo. Could have sworn it wasn’t me.

A K Haart said...

James - I've seen photos like that - couldn't be me, I wouldn't wear those trousers.

Sam Vega said...

I wonder how the mannerisms get to be the same. Maybe we project expectations onto the new person, or maybe looking a particular way leads to people treating you in a particular way, which in turn gives rise to similar responses. Beautiful girls often have similar flirty attention-seeking personalities, and there is a definite class of big dangerous-looking blokes.

A K Haart said...

Sam - the mannerisms were the strangest aspect, but it may be that blokes of a certain age do tend to have similar mannerisms, but maybe there is some projection. Yes, beautiful girls do seem to have similar flirty attention-seeking personalities. They turn their heads in an identical way which swirls their long hair as seen on the telly ads.

dearieme said...

I watch the football highlights on TV at the weekend and find that I can recognise quite a few players purely by their gait. There aren't enough close-ups to let me learn to identify them by their ears.

Anyway: suppose you were mistaken for someone else. A remarkably pretty girl bounces up to you and gives you a smacker, then says "Tommy it's lovely to see you again". What do you reply?

A K Haart said...

dearieme - "A remarkably pretty girl bounces up to you and gives you a smacker, then says "Tommy it's lovely to see you again"."

Happened to me a number of times, I'm not sure how many. Never when I'm awake though.