Pages

Friday 15 September 2023

A use for AI



XL bully dogs: Why adding the controversial breed to the Dangerous Dogs Act may not work

The proposed change in legislation comes after a man was mauled to death by two "suspected" XL bullys in Stonnall, Staffordshire, on Thursday afternoon.

They are the fifth group of dogs banned in the UK - joining the pit bull terrier, Japanese tosa, dogo Argentino and the fila Brasileiro.

But despite the prime minister's promises to "keep people safe", one dog behaviourist has told Sky News it's not as simple as just adding the dog breed to the legislation - because it's not actually a breed of dog at all.


Maybe an AI system could be trained to identify the horrible creatures with some degree of accuracy. It could probably identify typical owners too. So could most people of course.

3 comments:

Doonhamer said...

AI, as many country folk recognise the acronym, could be used.
Just impregnate every bitch* above a certain size with the ejaculate of a male chihuahua.
No serious mean man is going to be seen with the result of that inoculation.
* Ah is talking canines, not yo two legged sistahs.
Truly, every little helps.

dearieme said...

I had my D-lock in my hand, about to lock my bike. A plonker, struggling to control a large, aggressive dog, approached. I glowered at the hound. "He won't bite, he's quite friendly really."

"If that dog comes any closer I will kill him" said I and shook my D-lock.

The plonker suddenly found the strength to haul the dog away, and departed, muttering imprecations.

I wonder if I was in the wrong: maybe I should have killed the bloody thing anyway.

A K Haart said...

Doonhamer - tax them by weight and that could catch on.

dearieme - plonkers don't seem to realise how silly they look struggling to control a big dog. Years ago I read a cycling book where the writer claimed that the way to deal with a serious dog attack is to shove your hand down its throat and choke it. A D-lock sounds like a better approach.