Pages

Thursday 7 September 2023

One of those oddities



One of those oddities which crop up from time to time in old novels. This one comes from a detective story by Henrietta Clandon which was one of John Haslette Vahey's various pseudonyms.


"Sergeant Smith and his chaps are going over the house and grounds pretty carefully, sir. Shouldn’t wonder if it was a job done with one of those rubber truncheons they sell to motorists, for bandit-scaring.”

Henrietta Clandon - The Ghost Party (1934)


I've no idea if motorists ever did buy rubber truncheons for bandit-scaring. Seems unlikely. Wouldn't be allowed now, but we could say that about many things.

6 comments:

Sam Vega said...

I believe the first cars had a "startling handle" which you used to startle would-be assailants.

James Higham said...

A bo stick does just as well and is legal, AKH.

Doonhamer said...

Oh, dear AK, you are so innocent. But I like you.

Scrobs. said...

A good friend once asked a well-known shop in London if he could buy a swordstick!

He was gently advised that they were illegal, but...

A K Haart said...

Sam - that's what I thought. A good idea, I'm surprised they were dispensed with.

James - or a baseball bat as I once saw in a Nottingham motoring altercation.

Doonhamer - you mean I should try eBay?

A K Haart said...

Scrobs - I often see antique ones for sale, and swords of course, lots of those about.