Pages

Saturday 24 February 2024

Slamming on the breaks



'I moved to a Derbyshire town and the pothole problem is worse than I thought'

One day I had to slam on my breaks after a car crossed onto my side of the road

I recently moved to a Derbyshire town that has potholes on seemingly every corner - my question is, 'Why?' It's no secret that Derbyshire residents are disgruntled about the state of the roads and, just weeks after moving to Belper, I share that frustration.


That's enough blogging for this afternoon, time to take a brake.

4 comments:

Doonhamer said...

What they use to make road surfaces has changed. Remember when tarmac used to melt in summer. Walking on it would have it sticking to your feet. Needed butter to remove. Newspapers, remember them, would have pictures of bus wheels sinking into the black puddle. That pre warble gloaming heat would ensure that all that road gravel would continue to stick together.
Now no doubt something very green is used. Molasses? But, dare I say it, being green, it nearly works.
Road maintenance companies are not complaining. My how the money rolls in.

A K Haart said...

Doohamer - a few weeks ago, someone from Derbyshire County Council said that some pothole repairs are temporary and they are trying out different materials. Could be molasses but I've wondered if liquorice is one idea they are trying round here. They also seem to be trying out the idea of not bothering with some roads.

dearieme said...

We've noticed that in Cambridge many of the roads are in poor nick but that one of the main roads is far better. Clearly a couple of important people must reside there but we don't know who they are.

Locally the Lib Dems have a reputation for fannying about with road decisions to suit their local councillors' need to live on quiet streets.

A K Haart said...

dearieme - a local road is due to be closed for resurfacing next week. Not much wrong with it now as far as I can see, not compared to some other local roads, but maybe the chap with the Bentley had something to say about it.