Pages

Saturday 17 February 2024

Missing it all



Scanning media headlines can be a dispiriting thing to do. Sitting here with my mug of tea, gazing out at the garden while thinking “do I really want to know?”

The tediously familiar exaggerations, distortions, celebrity prattle, and pumped up drama isn’t inspiring. Not even inspiring enough for me to finish my tea and wander into the kitchen to make coffee. It’s tempting to consider ignoring it all by much more restrictive and selective internet browsing.

Yet it could be difficult. How difficult isn’t easy to judge without actually doing it, as the fictional conversation below attempts to highlight –


Missing it all

The other day I met up with my old pal Dr Baz Broxtowe of Fradley University. We met at Cromford and toddled off for a short walk through the woods before the steady climb up to Hearthstone Lane.

Naturally enough I asked Dr Baz about his media isolation research as up until then I’d heard nothing about it.

“It didn’t really come to anything,” Dr Baz began as we paused for a breather by an old stone wall overlooking Cromford. “I isolated myself from the media shortly before the pandemic, stayed in an isolated cottage on the coast owned by a mate of mine.”

“How isolated?”

“Oh very isolated, no TV or WiFi. I had to use my phone for online grocery orders but was very strict about not using it for anything else, I just got on with my book and went out for quiet walks. I never knew what it was all about until my book was finished and I left the cottage and ended the experiment. By then it was mostly over and people were only interested in getting rid of Boris.”

“So you missed all the lockdown stuff with masks and daily briefings on TV?”

“All of it. I knew something was going off obviously.”

“What about all the signs and notices?”

“I didn’t see many and didn’t pay too much attention to those I did see,” replied Dr Baz, “and didn’t seem to make that much difference to me really. Online deliveries didn’t change much although I knew something was going on because I saw very few people on my rambles. Those I did see tended to avoid me.”

“So you knew something was going on but what on earth did you think it was?” I asked as we resumed our walk onto Hearthstone Lane.

“I’d no idea, but one of my wilder notions was an experiment in population control designed to make people more malleable and more reliant on government expertise. All done through the media of course and this was my working hypothesis. I made copious notes about it.”

“Oh…”

“Later I realised my wild notion wasn’t outrageously wild.”

“No… no it wasn’t.”

“And it was certainly experimental,” mused Dr Baz.

5 comments:

Sam Vega said...

Excellent!
It got me thinking that if we refuse to believe, and adopt a position of guarded scepticism, we are all a bit like Dr. Baz. There's no need to isolate oneself to stay ahead of the game. Just assume that the main purpose of the media is gaslighting, and one is able to maintain a healthy distance. Somewhere in that distance is sanity.

dearieme said...

I don't watch the telly, except for rugby, football and the occasional 'tec. I don't listen to the radio at all. I don't use social media. And still the world turns.

A K Haart said...

Sam - thanks and yes, guarded scepticism is the way to treat it. It may be more common than voting would suggest too. I hope so.

dearieme - I don't watch telly at all, no radio, no social media apart from blogging. Browsing the internet is easily enough to replace telly, radio, newspapers and magazines.

djc said...

I gave up telly in my teens some 50 years ago. Occasionally caught sight of it in hotel rooms which confirmed it was the same the whole world over and not needed. Radio, yes I used to listen, but less and less, until , on retiring to the country, I found there wasn't much of a signal in the cottage kitchen, and besides he device was rather battered from the number of times it had been thrown across the room in outrage, so I binned it and its not been missed. Newspapers were always something to fill in the time on commuting journeys — no need now. So what news I get is second-hand, via blogs like this. Enough to know I don't need to know.

A K Haart said...

djc - I never watched much telly, but I wish I'd had the foresight to give it up in my teens as you did. When I think back on all the hours spent watching dross it seems like quite a slice of wasted life.