Pages

Sunday 30 April 2023

Dull bloke peddles dull dreams



Health warning - it's the Grauniad

‘I’ll be bolder than Blair on public service reform,’ says Keir Starmer

Leader pledges a radical, reforming Labour government with aid to first-time buyers and a revamp of tuition fees

In an interview with the Observer before Thursday’s local elections, the Labour leader insists he will more than match Blair for radical ideas on overhauling public services including the NHS. “This will be a bold and reforming Labour government bringing about real change that I hope will be felt through the generations,” Starmer said.


I'm assuming by "felt through the generations" he means the NHS. Anyhow, here's the core of it - the dull dreams of dull fans of a depressingly dull enforcement culture.

Starmer says this did not mean a further expansion of the private sector’s role, as happened under Blair’s New Labour, but rather developing services to meet today’s needs, with greater focus on prevention.

8 comments:

Doonhamer said...

Hmm? More prevention.
I think he just decided me on which party I will prevent myself from voting for.

Sam Vega said...

Well, prevention is better than cure, as they say. So they've given up on the NHS, and will set up websites explaining "five a day" and units of alcohol. They've no idea whether this works, but control is the name of the game.

A momentous day yesterday. For the first time ever in my life, I had the local MP on my doorstep along with the candidate for the council seat. I explained why I will be abstaining - because I want the "Conservatives" in Westminster to be badly scared. I had my say on immigration, the BBC, and woke culture. They seemed to listen. I sent them away saying I would not vote Conservative, but in hindsight I probably will. He (the candidate for the local seat) was a decent bloke, and I've had my say now. As ever, the lesser of two evils. And the other candidate is a Lib Dem, so that's a gigantic evil.

DiscoveredJoys said...

Bureaucrat promises to be a more thorough bureaucrat. Hardly inspiring is it?

A K Haart said...

Doonhamer - I'll never vote for them, but viable alternatives are grim too. More of the same doesn't appeal.

Sam - a momentous day indeed. The lesser of two evils is very tempting but I've given up on it. I don't see the Conservatives as conservative. Some are probably decent enough, but that doesn't seem to be enough to roll back anything.

DJ - not surprising at all. He seems to have no better grasp of the pitfalls and the problems than the average public sector employee.

Ed P said...

He's as much use as an armrest (anag.)

A K Haart said...

Ed - and just as versatile. I see Mr Tears is also an anagram. Could turn out to be appropriate.

Bucko said...

So the Conservatives have made such a mess of things that they may well be unelectable, so this emboldens Starmer to propose a host of 'country destroying' Labour policies that would not otherwise be voted for. Whatever happens, we're fu%&ed

A K Haart said...

Bucko - I agree, whatever happens the destruction continues. It seems reasonable to give up on the traditional parties, but it may be too late anyway.