Pages

Tuesday 27 June 2023

Switching off



Mrs H and I spend a fair amount of time in coffee shops. We chat about this and that but we are not the kind of people who avoid conversational pauses. We don't chat for the sake of chatting. A spell of companionable silence doesn’t make us uncomfortable.

Yet as we sip our coffee, it is surprising how often we hear someone at another table who seems quite unable to stop talking for more than a few brief breaths. Occasionally they pause to allow someone else to add a sentence or two, but even then there is a kind of vibration in the air, an almost palpable anxiety to retake the conversational lead.

Encountering such people is hardly an uncommon experience, but from another table it can be curiously difficult to listen to an endless stream of talk. Not wishing to eavesdrop is a major part of that, but not all of it.

Another part of not listening is more basic, it’s the way we automatically screen out irrelevant noise. Unless it is particularly intrusive we ignore it in the sense that we don’t consciously hear it. I’m more likely to do that than Mrs H. I just switch off. For example, here’s a recent snippet from a local café related to me by Mrs H afterwards. I heard none of it, even though I was closer. I’d switched off.

“I have to go and buy some cobs from the baker, we’re having a picnic in Edinburgh.”

“How long will it take to get there?”

“About five hours. I don’t like him driving up the motorway, I wanted to go via the Lake District.”

5 comments:

Sam Vega said...

Maybe these people don't have a silence which is, as you put it, "companionable". It feels awkward to sit in silence - they associate it with anger, or sulking, or being put on the spot at school - so they just prattle on to stop feeling that way.

With regard to Mrs. H's recent snippet, you should have started a parallel conversation about how a dead mouse had been found in one of the local baker's cobs, or how they were about to close the Lake District to preserve the silence there.

DiscoveredJoys said...

I'm always astounded by the people who conduct a social conversation "...he said, then I said..." over their mobile phones, while pushing a pushchair down the street.

A K Haart said...

Sam - I like the mouse idea - maybe cobs going off quickly in a warm car would have worked too.

DJ - and sometimes with toddlers skipping along by a busy road.

dearieme said...

The night we went to Birmingham by way of Beachy Head

A K Haart said...

dearieme - my geography isn't top notch, but even I wouldn't travel from Derbyshire to Edinburgh via the Lakes. The sat nav would also keep telling me off.