Pages

Saturday 3 June 2023

Merlin



Mrs H and I have been playing with the Merlin Bird ID app on our phones. So far it's impressive, only identifies birds we expect to be around our garden or local woodland - nothing improbable. 

We used it while walking through woodland near Matlock and both made comments to the effect that it is rather like having everything in the natural world neatly labelled. We already use Google Lens to help identify wild flowers so there is no need to go leafing through a book.

As I write this there is a fly buzzing against the window. I wonder what type it is? 

6 comments:

dearieme said...

We used to get pheasants in our garden. No mistaking their call. We have a woodpecker who comes to aerate the lawn.

Awful lot of magpies and pigeons though.

A K Haart said...

dearieme - every now and then we disturb a pheasant while out walking. We never quite get used to that loud chattering squawk which seems to come out of the ground.

Sam Vega said...

Merlin could be a hobby.

(I'll get my coat....)

A K Haart said...

Sam - oh very good. I don't think I've seen either, or if have I didn't know it.

djc said...

Pheasants, always sound to me like a flying machine drawn by Leonardo da Vinci: a creaking wooden thing that struggles to get airbourne.

A K Haart said...

djc - that would be far more interesting.