Pages

Thursday 8 June 2023

Ever more urgent



Caroline Lucas: Former Green Party leader to stand down at next election

Ms Lucas made history when she was elected as the Green Party's first MP in 2010.

In a letter sent to her Brighton Pavilion constituents, Ms Lucas said it had been the "privilege of my life to serve this extraordinary constituency and community".

But she said the "threats to our precious planet" had become "ever more urgent" and her role in parliament as the Green Party's only MP meant she had "struggled to spend the time I want on these accelerating crises".

I'm not an expert on Green Party antics, but I don't recall a single worthwhile observation from Ms Lucas. Brighton must be full of irresponsible loons, not that there are many outstandingly better options.

Yet again we are confronted with the slippery notion of "intelligence", a problem raised recently by commenter Penseivat. Whatever intelligence is, there isn't much of it in Brighton.

3 comments:

Sam Vega said...

"Brighton must be full of irresponsible loons"

Yes, that is actually very sobering, and not just a piece of political rhetoric. I look at some of the Greenies here in my village, and others I have known over the years. All of them are distinctly odd. I would actually vote for Greens at a very local (say Parish) level, because they can't do much damage and who doesn't like allotments and 20mph speed limits (when you have children and a cat!) and cycle lanes. But those who opine about national and global politics tend to be insane.

I know the voting system throws up odd anomalies if opposition parties are split, but just imagine those people being the biggest single minority!

dearieme said...

I dunno, their football side seems to play with what passes for intelligence in that code - a pleasure to watch on the highlights shows.

The club is obviously run with considerable intelligence - just look up the owner.

A K Haart said...

Sam - I wouldn't even vote for them on a local level. In spite of their generally earnest manner, to me they seem irresponsible. Any possibility that they could become the biggest single minority horrifies me.

dearieme - yes it's a strange contrast. As a betting man, I wonder if the owner would bet on Lucas being right.