Pages

Friday 12 August 2022

Surely the days will soon be used up



World Elephant Day 2022: History, significance and facts

World Elephant Day is celebrated on 12 August every year to raise awareness about the plight of elephants all over the world. World Elephant Day tries to highlight why these animals should be protected and what laws and measures can be enacted to ensure their survival. There are many risks that elephants face, from illegal ivory trading to increased human-animal conflict. Their habitats are also threatened by human activities. You can celebrate World Elephant Day by sharing solutions for preventing the exploitation of these majestic creatures, and by learning more about them. You can also support the non-profit organisations who work towards protecting elephants.

I've nothing against elephants, but does this mean we can't recycle August 12th as World Mongoose Day or World Sobriety Day or even World Veracity Day? 

If August 12th is lost to elephants forever, we'll only ever have 365 excitingly special days of this kind. World Veracity Day could be February 29th perhaps. Seems appropriate somehow.

8 comments:

Doonhamer said...

B-b-but August 12th is Grouse day, dontcha know.
Along with the Black Grouse (grouse of color?), Ptarmigan, and Snipe.

said...

World Gay/Trans/queer/lgbtgsheyegtdgjusajdj++++ etc days already take about 95% of the 365 days.

dearieme said...

I'd welcome a World Tiger Day because those felines are so fine. I'd like a World Giraffe Day because I've always found the elongated, even-toed ungulate fascinating.

But do Nellies need a Day?

Ed P said...

Do elephants respect grouse? They never forget they have a choice...

A K Haart said...

Doonhamer - ah yes, I wonder if Charles still blazes away at them with his special eco-gun?

anon - I haven't totted them up, but I bet there are quite a few world eco-days too.

dearieme - I looked them up because a tiger day didn't seem unlikely. There is a Global Tiger Day on July 29 and a World Giraffe Day on June 21. All mammals of course, which doesn't seem very diverse.

Ed - do elephants respect anything? Maybe that should count against them.

Tammly said...

An elephant's life is tedious, laborious and slow
I've been an elephant all me life, so I bloomin well ought to know.

Penseivat said...

I did try to make a trunk call, but was told the charge was reversed. I felt such a tusk!

A K Haart said...

Tammly -
Now life is very much easier
Amnesia's to thank;
I'm being psychoanalysed,
I lie on a divan
And flap me ears and try to look a barmy as I can!

Penseivat - I wonder how old you have to be to know what a trunk calls was?