Pages

Monday 15 November 2021

Careers Advice



Hi there - Oscar isn’t it?

Yes.

Well Oscar, first let me welcome you to VocataBot, our careers advice artificial intelligence system. Before we get down to some actual career analysis, I’ll introduce myself. You may simply known me as a careers AI system, but I also have a name which is Conan and I’m here not to point you in one particular direction but to explore possibilities. How does that sound as a starter Oscar?

That sounds fine, but really I have no idea…

Forgive me for interrupting you there Oscar, but it doesn’t matter about fixed ideas at this stage. We are doing the really exciting stuff first – the journey of exploration. Who is Oscar and what does he want out of life. What could be more exciting than that?

Okay - fine.

Here at VocataBot we want you to be yourself Oscar, to find your true self, the real Oscar.

Sounds okay.

So first of all Oscar, I’ll put this section of your file on screen so we can go through it and see if there are any pointers to where we might start. For example suppose we begin with your recently acquired university history degree – and very well done for that.

Thanks - I didn't do as well as expected though.

No matter. More importantly Oscar, it says in your file that you don’t see yourself as either a history teacher or an academic historian.

Well I like history obviously, but history as a career.. no not really my thing.

History is rather limited of course, we certainly understand that, especially for someone well-connected socially as you are. You also have an aptitude for getting on with people, were politically very active at university and created quite a stir on one or two occasions.

That was nothing, but I did enjoy stirring things up. It was necessary.

Those demonstrations also stirred things up didn't they?

Only one or two did. The rest were fun mainly.

Of course they were fun Oscar and those demonstrations offer us something we may be able to work on going forward. How would it be if we simply pull something out of the air based on what we already know about your aptitudes and interests. The real Oscar in other words.

Okay.

For example Oscar, suppose you become a professional charlatan. How does that strike you? What is your immediate reaction to the charlatan profession?

What?

Before we go any further Oscar, don’t knock the idea without giving it some thought. Politics for example. If you hope to steer yourself around the political world, even on the outskirts, you will be more successful as a charlatan.

But my political principles…

Do you credit, Oscar, but we have the statistics. The world of politics is very much a charlatan’s world. The evidence is unassailable.

In my opinion that is simply not true. I’m not prepared to compromise my principles and I know lots of people who are similarly committed.

In that case Oscar, you must have many competitors.

Competitors?

Fellow charlatans climbing the greasy pole.

I don’t want to climb the greasy pole, I’m not that kind of person. I am absolutely not a charlatan.

Oh but you are Oscar, but let us put that to one side as the charlatan career is clearly contrary to your principles. How about using your history degree as an entry point into a career as a professional pundit?

What?

I see I’m rushing things here Oscar, so I apologise for that, but you could for example write a distinctly edgy history book, debunking some popular historical myths for example. If done judiciously this would attract attention and put your foot on the first rung of the pundit careers ladder.

I wouldn’t have a clue where to start.

Oh we at VocataBot would help you with the actual book. That’s not a problem. In your book you could discover that Henry VIII was really female for example.

What?

It’s merely an example Oscar. We at VocataBot have many more.

2 comments:

Sam Vega said...

Way back in the early '90s some of my black students in North London had been convinced by a pamphlet circulating among them that Beethoven was black, and that this had been covered up.

A K Haart said...

Sam - that would be Bert Holborn the famous Derbyshire composer.