Pages

Wednesday 20 April 2022

Sofa v Lamborghini

  


Yesterday a new Lamborghini rumbled past me while walking back home. I don't know what type of Lamborghini it was because they all look the same to me. However the manufacturer had helpfully placed the word 'Lamborghini' across its rear end. 

I assume wealthy people buy them to create some kind of impression on those who can't afford one. To a good approximation that must be virtually everyone else. What's the appeal though? It's such a lot of money to spend on a car.

It's not about style because these things aren't about style. They all look like bigger versions of the toy racers Grandson used to play with. How about the social basics - creating a look at me impression? That works for the Lamborghini, but Edd China's sofa car must create a pretty powerful impression too. 




To my mind that settles it. In terms of making a look at me impression, I reckon Edd's sofa car wins easily. Which leaves the final score as -

Sofa 1  -  Lamborghini 0

9 comments:

Doonhamer said...

The final score sofa.
I've got my coat.

Sam Vega said...

Could he make a settee-type Jaguar?

Tammly said...

Despite being indispensably useful, I think cars are an eyesore. As an artist I see a beautiful landscape or an attractive town ruined by the presence of modern vehicles.
A plague on Lamborighnis and road going sofas.

Bucko said...

I have to disagree with Tammly, as I think older cars are a work of art to behold. Modern cars though, all look the same.
Supercars seem a bit over the top though, when you can get everything you need from a Ford Capri.
I see one or two supercars in our area, but nobody round here actually owns one. Some of the 'locals' rent them on special occasions in an effort to impress the birds

DiscoveredJoys said...

There's an argument that possessions are chains, restricting your freedoms. So a beautiful expensive car is just a bigger, heavier, sparkly chain.

The Jannie said...

While dressing this morning and idly watching the traffic a thought crossed my mind: how many of those high value posemobiles passing are bought and paid for? This is a former pit village surrounded by new builds so I imagine that the average credit debt must be huge. Or are they ALL drug dealers?

A K Haart said...

Doonhamer - had to look that up, haven't watched it for years.

Sam - ha ha.

Tammly - I think cars are an eyesore too. So many attractive villages are spoiled by cars, so much so that it can be difficult to take a good photo of them.

Bucko - I like the look of many older cars. Not all of them, but it's modern cars which clog the streets up round here.

DJ - I think possessions are chains, but difficult to shake off.

Jannie - I'm sure most are bought on credit. Round here, some even look like drug dealers.

Penseivat said...

I followed a Lamborghini through a Surrey (where else?) town a couple of weeks ago. No sign of any indicators at junctions or roundabouts. Perhaps this was a model produced jointly with BMW?

A K Haart said...

Penseivat - our daughter-in-law recently drove her brother's BMW. His comment on her driving was "you managed it okay, but you made one mistake, you used the indicators. BMW drivers don't use their indicators."