Pages

Wednesday 12 January 2022

The knives are out for Boris



Boris Johnson apologises after admitting he attended Downing Street garden party for 25 minutes in lockdown

The prime minister, who has so far avoided questions over fresh allegations of a lockdown-busting party in Number 10, is appearing in front of MPs amid mounting pressure over the 20 May 2020 event.


It’s odd because I don’t think much of Boris, but my reaction to the latest pumped up scandal is a sense of mild relief. 

Maybe the so-called garden party was unwise or somewhat hypocritical, but at least we now know what we strongly suspected. Our leadership was not scared witless by pandemic media hype or the portentous bleating of expert caution. Good.

Perhaps we are now seeing the spite of thwarted doomsters and totalitarian nutters. Puritanical finger-pointing by those who always wished to see even more draconian lockdown measures, paramilitary regimentation and more severe punishment for small transgressions.

For example, I thought the voters of North Shropshire should not have voted for any of the major parties in order to stick two fingers up at the political establishment. Not that it makes the slightest difference, but I suspect I was dead wrong.

Maybe the most powerful vote at that particular time would have been a Tory vote because it was always the least bad option. Maybe we needed the least bad option at that time. The knives are out for Boris, but I don’t like the look of those wielding them.

7 comments:

Tammly said...

At the last election I held my nose and voted Conservative because I wanted Brexit completed. The depressing thing is I can't see anyone near him who would be any better. They all seem to me be incompetants.

Sam Vega said...

He still has friends in high places, though. Prince Andrew can always be relied upon to occupy the front page when Boris is in trouble.

Scrobs. said...

Sam, 'Ouch'...

Dead right of course, but isn't it sad that however much you want the bloke to succeed in doing anything, he just buggers it all up in a quagmire of murk, then seems relieved when he's forgiven, and all is sweet and light again!

Like other royalty, he's always forgiven!

At my age, I really don't get nervous any more, but as I saw a 98 y.o. gentleman this morning, and realised that he was 24 years older than me, perhaps I should take life more seriously!

DiscoveredJoys said...

My suspicion is that the 'Garden Party Time To Axe Boris Brigade' are broadcasters, journalists and assorted politicians who still want revenge for Brexit. The pandemic is just a handy event to exploit in their view.

My other suspicion is that despite the bumbling fool persona Boris is rather more politically aware than people think; by the time of the next GE he will have good news to deliver.

A K Haart said...

Tammly - I can't see anyone better either. We are not overwhelmed with talent.

Sam - good old Andy. Guilty until proven innocent seems to be the underlying message. I almost feel sorry for the guy.

Scrobs - the trouble is, it isn't easy for oldies to take life seriously.

DJ - I agree, revenge for Brexit could be behind it and Boris is politically astute. His problem will be keeping enough people on board for that good news to be found.

wiggiatlarge said...

It appears that there have been 13-14 parties unearthed, so this could run, I am waiting for the first party to be outed which involves politicians other that Tory scum, can't be long can it?

Boris doing a Biden and hiding in his bunker is not a good ploy, I think he is finished, he has relied on his bumbling persona to get away with continual lying for to long, the only thing that will keep him in office is the dearth of likely replacements, and that sends an entirely different message about the state politics in this country.

A K Haart said...

Wiggia - Boris may be hoping for parties involving other political parties, but he may also be relying on the lack of obvious talent. We'll see.