Pages

Wednesday 26 January 2022

Partyballs



I generally treat mainstream news as a tedious fact of life like dog crap on the pavement, or a source of blog posts for despair and entertainment. But the pandemic partyballs caper and its variants have become too tedious.

Johnson's opponents have been highlighting the Afghanistan animal evacuation row today as they continue to attack the PM.

The SNP’s Westminster leader, Ian Blackford, told the BBC this afternoon: “It’s just another example of the truth and Boris Johnson being strangers.”


Fair enough, this is what the political class does, it tries to hide crude power struggles behind ludicrous and often infantile exaggeration of wrongdoing by the other side. I keep telling myself it's just what they do, it's just politics, it's just a performance... 

But strewth - I sometimes wish they would grow up and move on.

2 comments:

DiscoveredJoys said...

In comments to a post on a different site I suggested that you don't see many heroes any more. Now you can argue about the reason for the social change, but I suggest that Heroes used to come with magnificent vigour which excused their weaknesses.

I'd argue that Boris became a hero for many because of his stance on Brexit. I mean overcoming an Evil Empire, cutting through the interminable sell outs? As such Boris' many vices were accepted as part of the man.

But. The pack of jealous non-heroes must pull down someone who will show them up as spineless nonentities. What is worse we have become brainwashed to *expect* feet of clay by the media. In the pervasive left wing view everyone must win (small) prizes, so no one can be allowed to win one big prize.

A K Haart said...

DJ - oops, thanks now corrected. Yes and I don't think he's that far away from being clearly bigger than any of them. A little more scepticism particularly on green silliness and he'd be there. I hope the current attacks do more harm than good to the attackers.