Pages

Wednesday 19 January 2022

Dangerous Depiction



Dairylea advert banned for 'dangerous' depiction of two girls hanging upside down while eating cheese

The Dairylea advert joins a number of others from big brands to have been banned during recent years - including ones from BrewDog and Alpro.

An advert that shows two girls hanging upside down while eating Dairylea cheese triangles has been banned after people complained it could encourage dangerous behaviour.

The video on demand ad, broadcast on ITV Hub, All 4 and My 5 in August, featured the pair hanging upside down from a football goal before one opened the cheese snack and ate it.

A total of 14 viewers complained that the advert condoned or encouraged unsafe behaviour that could be dangerous for children to emulate.

So a total of 14 viewers was enough for yet another click of the miserable, priggish ratchet. We need a collective noun for such people, although maybe we have quite a few already. Unfortunately officialdom doesn't use them.

8 comments:

dearieme said...

If they'd been eating La Vache Qui Rit would the same people have protested?

In other words, are the neurotics who complained the same sort of people as those who are Quislings over Brexit?

DiscoveredJoys said...

People who believe invisible racism is systemic - the Woke
People who are upset by anyone having unapproved fun - the New Puritans
People who fear someone, somewhere, somehow, might be hurt - Mollycoddlers

Of course some people combine all the fears together - Omniphobia?

Sam Vega said...

I always think of these people as being women. I don't know why, I just do. And they tend to be a bit on the plump side, mothers, late thirties to fifties. Teachers.

I'm sure that's a terrible stereotype, but there we are.

Vatsmith said...

I haven't eaten it since I was a child, but should we now all go out and buy Dairylea in protest?

wiggiatlarge said...

How many people actually complained about Midget Gems, just one it appears and still they cved.

A K Haart said...

dearieme - I'd be surprised if they are not the same sort of people. Not likely to be pure altruism I'd say.

DJ - it could be something like Omniphobia, but there is righteousness in there too.

Sam - it may be a terrible stereotype but I bet it isn't uncommon and I bet it isn't wildly inaccurate.

Vatsmith - as I remember them, they were fiddly to open and not really worth the effort. I think I enjoyed the challenge of unwrapping them neatly though.

Wiggia - maybe next we'll see the censoring of war films which depict midget submarines.

dearieme said...

Righteous Omniphobia: well done , chaps, I'll use that.

If midget gems aren't allowed, how about animals like dwarf shrews and pygmy shrews?
Come to that, how about people called Small or Short?

A K Haart said...

dearieme - and shorting shares. Ban it.