Pages

Tuesday 12 October 2021

Sounds like a good idea



Teachers in Yanggang Province mobilized for the potato harvest

Daily NK has learned that teachers in Yanggang Province have recently been mobilized to harvest potatoes. A source says they are heading to the farms earlier than in previous years with a poor harvest expected this season.

The source, who is based in the province, told Daily NK on Thursday that the province’s education department assigned local teachers potato quotas from Sep. 25. He said early October is the optimal time to harvest potatoes, but with the authorities expecting insufficient supplies, they are putting teachers to work in the fields about 10 days earlier than last year.

7 comments:

The Jannie said...

I've known a few who would almost be bright enough to do that.

Doonhamer said...

Brilliant. Howk the tatties out early when they are smaller.
They obviously measure success by the number of tatties collected.
Not the weight.
Records will be broken. Stalin would be proud.
And small ones taste better with a knob of butter.

Sam Vega said...

I'm sure I read somewhere that only Eastern Europeans could harvest potatoes.

dearieme said...

At my school you could take a fortnight's break for tattie howking. If any child in the top streams had tried to take it there would have been hell to pay, I'm pretty sure.

Scrobs. said...

Sounds like they're re-issuing 'Goodbye Mr Chips'!

DAD said...

I spent many 'happy' school hours up to nearly knee high in mud picking tatties. All the school were mobilised - not just the lower forms. The local farmer arrived with two tractors pulling large open carts (with no side protection to stop us falling off).

Happy days.

A K Haart said...

Jannie - but could they put in the hours?

Doonhamer - yes small ones are excellent with a knob of butter. I sprinkle salt on mine too.

Sam - that may be an EU directive, similar to the one about the compulsory importing of pickpockets and other benefits.

dearieme - I used to enjoy digging up the spuds my dad had planted. I still remember lifting them up out of the soil.

Scrobs - ha ha - I wish I'd thought of that.

DAD - imagine the paperwork if any farmer tried that today.