Pages

Tuesday 26 October 2021

Fallen leaves

 



It's the mince pie season already so last week we treated ourselves to coffee and mince pie in Hall Leys Park, Matlock. This is the bandstand which at the time struck me as something from another age. It clearly is of course, but it it still seems that way as I look again at the photo.

It was very pleasant though, to sit on a bench with coffee and mince pie while toddlers laughed as they threw fallen leaves into the air. Yet one day they will have their mobile phones and perhaps the fallen leaves will be forgotten. 

5 comments:

Sam Vega said...

Strange - today I noticed fallen leaves for the first time this year. I found myself swishing through a drift of them and actually stopped and looked around. Chilly, dull, yet somehow surprisingly pleasant, meeting my friend autumn again.

DiscoveredJoys said...

I noticed last night the faint smell of winter. Not so strong now that coal fires are rare, and fireworks mostly limited to 'official' displays, but the early smell of dying leaves is now there.

A K Haart said...

Sam - yes it's a fine time of year. I like autumn too, although all the seasons have their attractions.

DJ - round here I've noticed the smell of wood smoke more frequently. Some years ago it would have been coal because quite a few people were still entitled to free coal having worked in the mining industry.

Andy5759 said...

I've just started up my stove for the winter. My sweep recommended that I burn less of the smokeless fuel and more wood, I do love staring into a lot fire. My 30ft bay tree needs pruning, the neighbours are complaining about the leaves. Surprising number of them for an evergreen. They don't decay very quickly either so it's pointless piling them into the compost heap for leaf mulch. They do burn nicely with a pleasant aroma, a solution springs to mind.

A K Haart said...

Andy - I only burn wood. Tried smokeless fuel which is fine, but there is something extra about wood. Stacking, chopping, keeping an eye on it as it burns.