Pages

Friday 8 October 2021

City of Culture



UK City of Culture 2025 longlist revealed

Eight places have been longlisted for the prestigious UK City of Culture 2025 title



Blimey, Derby is on the list. We no longer go there apart from having the cars serviced. Even then we leave the car and come home instead of strolling into Derby for a coffee. I wonder what they mean by Derby culture? Maybe this is an example.

I'm not sure how many people are swayed by these PR stunts but we aren't. Derby has history but not much culture.

7 comments:

Sam Vega said...

"Derby has history but not much culture."

I'm originally from Luton. It doesn't even have history.

Andy5759 said...

Maybe your chief constable has something to do with it.

A K Haart said...

Sam - I don't think I've ever been to Luton although I may have passed through it on the train.

Andy - the hair doesn't help.

Anonymous said...

Lived in Luton, know Derby well.
Sam agree.

A K Haart said...

Anon - I grew up in Derby and know it well too, but the Derby I once knew has changed and to my mind not enough of that change has been an improvement.

wiggiatlarge said...

I see all the eight nominees get £40k to put together a comprehensive bid, £40k doesn't say much if they didn't know what the reasons for a bid were before being shortlisted, still it's only tax payers money and judging by the way the government is throwing it around 40k is peanuts these days.

A K Haart said...

Wiggia - the amount seems low to me too. Could disappear on a few fact finding tours with first class accommodation.