Pages

Saturday 13 March 2021

Guess the ending



Hello All – as you may assume from this email, I arrived intact so the journey down was as you expected. Heavy traffic but no real snarl-ups and in the end I made good time. The hotel you found for me is fine thank you. I have a view of the sea as promised - not quite on the seafront but set back in its own grounds. Decidedly old-fashioned and almost genteel if one is allowed to be genteel these days.

I even took myself out for a stroll on the seafront before unpacking. A fairly typical seaside spot with sand, shingle, cliffs and so on. I'll not bore you with an attempt at descriptive prose which in any event is beyond me as you know.

Had coffee in the hotel lounge which was good enough although I’ve had better. The service was adequate although they seemed to think I ought to be stuffing myself with cakes and whatnot. Cakes in the afternoon – good grief. After coffee I finally came up to my room to unpack, thus proving to you that I am perfectly capable of slowing down and taking things easy for a while.

One little incident I must tell you about – there is a door in my room which leads to the adjoining room. Not uncommon in these old places I believe. The door did not appear to be closed properly so I gave it an exploratory nudge and found it was indeed unlocked.

It swung open to reveal another room exactly like mine. Ha - what a surprise I don’t think. I was about to close the door and retreat into my own room when I noticed a tan coloured leather suitcase on the bed exactly like mine.

I’m disappointed - I thought you said my suitcase was an absolutely exclusive make. I'm joshing of course, but you will never guess what I did next. Yes – I took a quick survey of the contents of that not at all exclusive suitcase. It was half open you see. By the way, I hope you did not jump to the conclusion that I rummaged around the contents of a stranger’s suitcase.

From what I could see the contents were remarkably similar to my own, or at least what I assumed you have packed for me. Apart from that a further sign of occupancy was a paperback book on the bedside table. Here is another coincidence though – it was the exact book you bought for me and said I should read as relaxation. You know – that popular detective yarn you optimistically claimed I would enjoy.

There was nothing in the wardrobe as yet, although by the bed were a pair of shoes uncannily similar to my brown brogues, but I soon felt ridiculous poking around another room. I returned to my own room and firmly closed the connecting door. It locked with a loud click so must have been left open accidentally. Cleaners failed to close it properly perhaps.

Before I click 'Send', I may as well tell you that I have decided not to go ahead with the Panama deal. I don’t like it and that is the end of the matter as far as I am concerned. We should never have entertained it. In deference to your wishes that I put work out of my mind for a few days I'll not raise the subject again until I return but it is only fair to let you know my decision.

On a lighter note and after reading a few pages of that better than expected detective yard, it occurred to me that my fingerprints are all over the place in the adjoining room. Ha ha – I hope foul play does not descend on the hotel. I do not wish to explain myself to some gimlet-eyed sleuth.

That's all until tomorrow.

A

2 comments:

Sam Vega said...

When you got back to your own room, A., were you surprised to find that your suitcase and shoes and book had all been changed, or were somehow different from how you remembered them?

Just checking, you understand...

A K Haart said...

Sam - that would work. A plot to undermine his sanity and cast doubt on his Panama decision. My idea was connected with him being bumped off in some way.