Pages

Monday 8 March 2021

Only the bum changes



Idol Worship
or
The Way to Preferment


A satirical cartoon on the way Robert Walpole dominated the political landscape by 1740. Two young men have to kiss his vast backside before being admitted to the eighteenth century corridors of power via St James’ Palace. As far as I know the originator of the cartoon is uncertain.

We don’t have to do that now but one could say that we are now expected to kiss the backside of certain institutions and political ideologies. Clapping the NHS for example. Not the same but not so different either.

4 comments:

Sam Vega said...

Just imagine standing for office without doing it.

"Well, I think I can make the NHS more efficient, as it doesn't seem to work very well at the moment. I'm sure there are some good people working for it, but let's not pretend they are anything special and let's not waste time clapping them in pointless rituals. And while I'm at it, I'd like to say that all lives matter, and that the BLM organisation is plain daft in the main, and distinctly malign around the edges. Black people are treated fairly in the UK, so let's not be taken in by special pleading from black malcontents who want to milk the system. Anyone who asks for reparations for slavery wants a history lesson or psychiatric care. So vote for me..."

James Higham said...

Irreverence is no new concept.

MrMC said...

Sam:
Where do I sign ?
BTW I was recruited to improve customer service a a certain local authority in London who had a terrible reputation on that front, I was surrounded by "BAMES" who arrived at 10 am and started on breakfast letting the phones ring and ring, I was told by a manager that one will lie to you and that one will just shout at you.(he was correct)
Within two weeks I had my laptop charger and deskphone stolen and they were having meetings without me, I walked after 6 weeks.

So good luck in the NHS

A K Haart said...

Sam - I'm trying to imagine it but not finding it easy going. Honesty mixed with politics certainly gives the imagination a testing time.

James - and always necessary.

MrMC - blimey that's quite a story. Even staying the course for 6 weeks sounds grim.