Pages

Wednesday 16 November 2022

Rockets are like cars - they keep getting bigger



NASA's Artemis mission to return humans to moon sees most powerful rocket ever launch into space

The next-generation, multibillion-dollar Space Launch System rocket lifted off from Kennedy Space Center in Florida in the early hours of Wednesday morning, with the uncrewed Orion spacecraft in tow.

The mega rocket generated 8.8 million pounds of thrust at launch, far greater than any used by NASA before, while its two boosters and four RS-25 engines also produced plenty of power.

"You definitely knew there was some energy being expended over there," said NASA administrator Bill Nelson, who watched it unfold from the roof of the launch centre.

6 comments:

Scrobs. said...

I'm surprised they can still afford all these space shenanigans.

We all know the moon's made of cheese, so why keep bothering to go and see it again!

I've just ordered some Isle of Mull Cheddar cheese from DukesHill - it's the best I've ever tasted - much better than the stuff they always bring back from that funny-looking disc in the sky at night!

A K Haart said...

Scrobs - I'm sure I sampled Isle of Mull Cheddar cheese years ago. Must have been good if it stuck in my memory. Moon cheese is no good - it's foreign.

dearieme said...

Have the Yanks stopped using Russian rockets, then? Is that related to the unpleasantness in Ukraine?

Sam Vega said...

I bet it's a lot harder to park, though.

Ed P said...

Each of the four RS25s produce 500,000 lbs thrust, with each booster adding 3,400,000 lbs. I got up much earlier than usual to watch it live. It was an impressive sight!

A K Haart said...

dearieme - I don't know, but I assume SpaceX had an impact on the rocket engine business before the unpleasantness in Ukraine.

Sam - yes, it's not like bonfire night where you can assume rockets will just land somewhere nearby in a neighbour's garden.

Ed - not something I would do, but I bet it was impressive. Imagine sitting on top of one.