Pages

Thursday 7 July 2022

Reform is off the agenda



This is not a defence of Boris Johnson, but getting rid of him is a reminder of the way Donald Trump was treated. In both cases we saw the iron determination of an establishment which absolutely will not tolerate significant reform.

As is well enough known, even in a democracy, entrenched establishments and their governing bureaucracies implacably oppose reform unless it extends their remit. Brexit labelled Boris as untrustworthy in that respect.

Yet we still have an Opposition leader who cannot say what a woman is. We have the destructive economic residue of a coronavirus debacle spun from the fevered imaginations of inadequate experts, a Net Zero policy based on scientific and technical nonsense, an apparently unsolvable immigration problem, an apparently unsolvable housing problem, a failing NHS, poor quality state education and a House of Commons stuffed with liars and charlatans.

Now we have a Prime Minister brought down by relentless exaggeration of a few trivial rule breaches and the appointment of a groper. The difficulties Boris has faced are a completely unmissable clue to the embedded nature of the problem. Reform is off the agenda.

6 comments:

said...

I wouldn't Boris as someone who wanted reform unless you mean reform to wokery and green net zero bollocks.

Tammly said...

You are absolutely right. Hence my call for violent insurrection.

A K Haart said...

Anon - I don't think Boris wanted reform either. In a way he pushed a major reform through inadvertently by choosing Brexit as the bandwagon on which to make his name.

Tammly - I don't see a solution. Voting for parties seems to be too ingrained and we already have the bread and circuses in abundance.

Tammly said...

You are probably right over that too, but the Gilet Jaunes have shown the way, and have you seen the farmers' protest in Holland? Amazing to behold.

Tammly said...

By the way do recall me mentioning my friend Paul whom I met at school when we were in the first year of secondary school and I described our difference of opinion over the decline of Britain? I said I felt I was growing up as a 14 year old in a declining nation and he replied that he didn't have that feeling.

Paul is about as far away from me in political and social outlook as it's possible to get. He is a classic 'watermelon' migrating to the Green Party in 1980 from Labour, and to which he still belongs. He has just had a Heat Pump system installed in his house, which is also interesting.
I asked him the question in as non leading a way as I could muster, (not mentioning our historic context). He replied that the country was definitely in decline!

But for me, that opens up more questions than it answers and he only stayed one night- there was so much catching up to do.

A K Haart said...

Tammly - what is noticeable is how little coverage farmers' protest in Holland receives over here.

Yes I do recall you mentioning your friend Paul - it can't be easy skating round such different outlooks but I suppose many of us have to do it. I certainly do and I put much of that problem down to the BBC. People still watch it and seem to believe every word they are told.