Pages

Saturday 21 August 2021

The deadening atmosphere of mediocrity



And it was therefore instructive to note what effect the "deadening atmosphere of mediocrity" (I quote Miss Croft) was having on him.

Edith Wharton - The Verdict (1908)


During the past few weeks we have visited two large antiques centres. Via the music played over their speakers they managed to create two distinctly different atmospheres for customers.

Centre A played a radio show over their speaker system. Customers were treated to a standard radio show babbler interspersed with what sounded to me like shopping centre pop music. Much the same music as our local Co-op.

Centre B played what sounded like 1930s jazz and dance band music with no babbler. Much more congenial to my ear and the absence of a radio show babbler was a real bonus. The coffee in the café was unusually good too.

To my mind, one centre managed to create just the right atmosphere for browsing antiques and one did not. Maybe it was just me, but maybe it is also significant that centre B is quirky with lots of oddities to catch the eye. Centre A is more like a department store where the goods on display happen to be antiques.

7 comments:

Sam Vega said...

Background music in retail and other settings is quite potent. Maybe I am particularly sensitive to it, but I also dislike attempts to flag up a style or period which fail. I guess some people would be tempted to play baroque music as a background to antique-browsing, but that would be horribly wrong, just as it is in films set in the 19th Century. So many people think that Vivaldi signifies anything old and "quality", and plainchant anything mediaeval.

Our local shop also has inane chat and loud music, despite it being a "community shop" which sells oat milk and posh canapés. It might be a way of keeping the Saturday staff (Sixth Formers) happy, but it makes me impatient to leave.

DiscoveredJoys said...

I've noticed that my favourite radio program (Radio 2) to drive to on long journeys has gradually changed to include more recent music. I'm not in favour of most 'modern music'. I guess the BBC (spit) is changing it's Radio 2 playlist to suit the mid-life demographic which is now behind me. Although I suspect it is a continuing process I first realised they were 'losing' me when they eased Terry Wogan out of the morning slot.

I believe that most 'modern music' is produced to make money in a deadening atmosphere of mediocrity. You can find debates on the web about why this is so. Meanwhile I now listen to Gold radio which still plays great songs from earlier years. I also have a playlist of great 60s and 70s music from my 'youth' which Mrs DiscoveredJoys sings along to on a journey. Magic.

James Higham said...

"Centre A played a radio show over their speaker system. Customers were treated to a standard radio show babbler interspersed with what sounded to me like shopping centre pop music. Much the same music as our local Co-op."

Groan ... yes.

Woodsy42 said...

I can cope with most sorts of music (opera excepted!) provided it's background level, but I can't cope with DJ prattle or phone ins, nor do I wish to hear someone's phone-in opinion of today's news or how the next song is requested because it was the favourite track of their now-deceased pet dog etc. Caroline Gold is nice via the Internet if you like classic rock - no DJ, no adverts, just a playlist and the name comes up on screen.

A K Haart said...

Sam - inane chat and loud music would make me impatient to leave too. I have the same problem with our Co-op, it's handy but I can't stand it for long.

DJ - I suppose many things are changing to suit demographics to which we no longer belong. It can be an odd experience as the banal and manipulative aspects become a little too obvious for comfort.

James - groan indeed, I don't really understand how it is tolerated.

Woodsy - I have pretty narrow tastes and rarely like anything later than the 1930s, but played at background level it can be ok now my hearing isn't what it was.

Scrobs. said...

It's strange that one never hears decent prog rock like Pink Floyd in shops...

Modern pap is worthless, as is 'rap', but maybe some Vivaldi could help people with their purchases?

A K Haart said...

Scrobs - or maybe some natural sounds such as bird song or the sea.