Pages

Wednesday 18 August 2021

If at first you don't believe



As almost everyone will know, this is a news story from yesterday which I originally intended to comment on in a blog post.

New Zealand has announced a snap lockdown after a man tested positive for Covid, the first case in six months.

The case was detected in Auckland, which will be in lockdown for a week, while the rest of the country will be in lockdown for three days.

Authorities say they are working on the assumption that the new case was the Delta variant.


Yet I sat there at my laptop yesterday, reading the story, watching the video of Jacinda Ardern and I couldn't quite believe it. 'Surely not,' I thought,  'I can't do a blog post on this, it's bound to be a mistake of some kind. New Zealand has come out of it very well but this kind of draconian response cannot go on indefinitely.'

I checked a range of sources but still I thought there must be some mistake. I know Jacinda Ardern is a nutcase, but I couldn't quite believe she is that far gone. 

I thought some kind of correction would occur, the story would turn out to be wrong or exaggerated and a blog post would be misleading. But no - apparently she is that far gone. 

5 comments:

Sam Vega said...

Ardern is uniquely gifted at doing sadface. Nobody in the world can look so soulfully miserable and empathetic on camera.

"I'm so, so sorry. I have no option but to close the entire country down. I really, really feel your pain. I really do. But...we've just discovered...a sick bloke".

johnd2008 said...

Half a dozen people in the Auckland area have tested positive for the Delta variant,so those of us in the south, 1000km away and on another island have our lives disrupted again. I hope she has enjoyed being the Peoples Princess as her governments inadequacies are becoming increasingly apparent. As an example she promised when first elected to sort out the housing crisis. She has done this by employing more civil servants in the housing dept than the number of houses erected.

A K Haart said...

Sam - "But...we've just discovered...a sick bloke." That made me chuckle.

John - and I bet I know how those extra civil servants in the housing dept are likely to vote. The virus has highlighted just how deep the rot is, but too many people depend on it now.

Penseivat said...

New Zealnad now owes the Chinese government more than it's GDP for the infrastructure deals, so she has to do what the CCP tells her, while trying to con the citizens of New Zealand that she's still in charge. She's now left the Five Eyes agreement and is probably working on changing the New Zealand dollar to the Yuan.

A K Haart said...

Penseivat - yes, New Zealand seems to be a lost cause. Amazing how quickly and easily it came about.