Pages

Saturday 26 December 2020

Try reading this one out loud



This week, a woman was strolling in my street, walking in circles and speaking out loud to herself. People were looking at her awkwardly, but she didn’t particularly mind, and continued walking vigorously and speaking.

Yes, that woman was me.

Like many of us, I talk to myself out loud, though I’m a little unusual in that I often do it in public spaces. Whenever I want to figure out an issue, develop an idea or memorise a text, I turn to this odd work routine. While it’s definitely earned me a reputation in my neighbourhood, it’s also improved my thinking and speaking skills immensely. Speaking out loud is not only a medium of communication, but a technology of thinking: it encourages the formation and processing of thoughts.

The piece is worth reading, partly because it raises a question about making speeches. Political speeches for example - they do not appear to encourage the formation and processing of thoughts. Conversation or more ad hoc speeches possibly do, but it does appear to depend on the speaker. 

For example, I didn't speak this blog post out loud. 
Maybe that was a mistake. 
No I don't think so. 
Or do I? 
Hard to tell.

4 comments:

Sackerson said...

It's like you don't spot errors in your typing until it's printed.

Sam Vega said...

We might be reading it out loud to ourselves. It helps with some of the trickier words!

Doonhamer said...

Your comment on political speeches reminded me of The Party Political Speech by Petr Sellars.
Now part of PPE curriculum for every aspiring pollie and SPAD.

A K Haart said...

Sackers - I just rely on spell chucker.

Sam - we might and I'm not sure there is much difference. I haven't tried it apart from rehearsing talks though.

Doonhamer - if only he'd lived long enough to parody Tony Blair.