Pages

Saturday 10 October 2020

You win some, you lose some



Human 'microevolution' sees more people born without wisdom teeth and an extra artery

Australian researchers found our faces have got shorter over time and our jaws smaller.


More people are being born without wisdom teeth and an extra artery in their arm as a result of a human "microevolution" in recent years, a study has found.

Babies now have shorter faces, smaller jaws and extra bones in their legs and feet, a study in the Journal of Anatomy found.

Reminds me of an episode in the seventies where our dentist was dealing with my impacted wisdom tooth. He was doing something with what felt and sounded like a dental version of hammer and chisel. After a while another dentist popped in to ask how things were going.

"You win some, you lose some," my dentist muttered. Happy days.

4 comments:

Sam Vega said...

You should have a competition for the most disconcerting reply. "Spent forty minutes before I realised I was still reading the last guy's notes" is my submission.

johnd2008 said...

I am never quite sure what wisdom teeth are.Neither I nor my three sisters have had any late erupting teeth. In fact all my adult teeth were present by the time i went to Grammar school at the age of 13.

James Higham said...

The perfect chairside manner.

A K Haart said...

Sam - "I'd have a stab at the anaesthetic but I've lost my glasses" is my submission.

John - all I know is that they sit at the back somewhere causing trouble.

James - and he didn't even sound as if he was joking.