Pages

Monday 5 October 2020

So - it's mingle, mingle, mingle



Researchers are looking at whether the common cold could offer some protection against contracting coronavirus.

A recent study at Yale University found that rhinovirus - the most frequent cause of a cold - could jump-start the body's antiviral defences, providing protection against the flu.

They discovered that the presence of rhinovirus triggered production of the antiviral agent interferon, which is part of the early immune system response to the invasion of pathogens.

2 comments:

Sam Vega said...

In the spring, at the start of all this nonsense, I mentioned on here that I was getting slight cold-like symptoms every evening - as if I was about to go down with a cold or flu - but they had completely gone by morning. I think you said you had experienced something similar.

Well, they are back, for the last couple of evenings.

The funny thing is, I don't know whether they are the start of Covid which will kill me; the start of mild Covid which will be like a cold; the start of a cold, because I had Covid in the spring; the start of a cold, and I'll get Covid after that, and that one will kill me; or just the way people tend to feel when it's winter.

I still don't know after the biggest festival of news and government information I've ever known.

A K Haart said...

Sam - I recently recovered from a streaming cold which came after a mild sore throat, Mrs H is recovering from much the same and the grandkids had it too. Probably all due to schools restarting plus the usual seasonal rise in coughs and colds. Lots of it in schools apparently.

But you are right - we don't know much after the biggest festival of news and government information ever.