Pages

Friday 16 December 2022

Talking festive booze could be next



Gin swizz! M&S sues Aldi claiming the discount chain copied look of their 'very Instagrammable' light-up festive bottles of gin

Marks & Spencer is suing supermarket chain Aldi for allegedly copying the look of their 'very Instagrammable' light-up festive gin bottles.

The British retailer has taken its German rival to the High Court, claiming it has infringed the design of its 'light up gin bottles' sold during Christmas 2020, which M&S says had a 'wow factor' that 'got the nation talking'.

I suppose illuminated gin bottles have a 'wow factor' but not in the sense suggested. How about talking festive booze for next Christmas, or has that already been done?

5 comments:

Macheath said...

What is the carbon footprint of one of these bottles I wonder? It’s a reasonable question, given all M&S’s environmental posturing.

As with all egregious Christmas tat and ephemera, I find myself picturing Far East factories full of baffled workers: “They want us to make what?

Graeme said...

If I were the judge, I would impose a £20m fine on the frivolous plaintiff

A K Haart said...

Macheath - that image of Far East factories full of baffled workers would make a fine cartoon. I often wish I had the talent to draw them.

Graeme - it seems frivolous in another way too. Does the M&S team really want their brand to be associated with frivolous festive junk?

Macheath said...

It certainly suggests if the M&S team value instagrammability more than, say, taste when it comes to festive drinks. I can well believe their staff are clueless millennials after a recent email exchange with customer services.

Having noticed that the larger size of chicken liver pate lists pork as an ingredient, while the smaller size has never done so, I emailed to check that the smaller pack was pork-free, explaining that I avoid eating pork.

The answer was delivered in surprisingly matter-of-fact terms -‘yes, the small size has pork fat in too’ . I checked the label once again (no mention of pork anywhere) and emailed back, asking them to verify the fact, explaining again that I want to avoid pork

Back came the cheerful reply; ‘yes, we can confirm there is pork in the pate’, along with a load of corporate cut-and-paste about priding themselves on clear labelling and wanting to provide a ‘tasty, quality product’ - they were, it seems ‘really disappointed’ that I had not found this to be the case.

I’m still utterly baffled by the whole exchange.


A K Haart said...

Macheath - it sounds as if they didn't really know, so opted for the safe answer. Or they did know but still opted for the safe answer in case of cross-contamination.