Pages

Monday 26 December 2022

Hunting for loopholes



Calls for crackdown on hunting 'loophole' ahead of Boxing Day parades

The League Against Cruel Sports said there were 303 combined incidents of hunt havoc (trespass, road interference and disturbing animals) and illegal fox hunting between 1 November and 7 December.

It said there were 78 reports of a fox being visibly pursued, eight reported kills and three suspected kills during that period.

Somewhere between eight and eleven foxes killed over the monitored period. As far as national importance goes on a scale of 0 to 10, I'd say that's a zero.  

7 comments:

Sam Vega said...

You're probably right, but I'm glad all the same that there are people monitoring the stuff that's not so important. Especially as we are making zero progress with the nationally important stuff.

Scrobs. said...

A dear friend was once reprimanded by the Head Huntsman or whatever he's called, for riding in front of him at The Romney Marsh Hunt!

Er, that's about it...

DiscoveredJoys said...

Vigorously policing the actions of hunt saboteurs might lead to a startling number of arrests too...and if you applied the same vigour to policing drunken behaviour hundreds would be locked up each week in cities.

A K Haart said...

Sam - it seems like a waste of activist enthusiasm to me, although it keeps them away from the M25 and works of art I suppose.

Scrobs - I bet referring to him as the Head Huntsman would earn another reprimand.

DJ - I agree, booze has much to answer for.

dearieme said...

I saw a fox trotting through the snow in our back garden a couple of weeks ago. I suppose if I hadn't sold my rifle I could have shot him. Would that be legal nowadays?

A K Haart said...

dearieme - I don't know - maybe it is legal on your own land. We haven't seen a fox in our garden for a number of years, not since a neighbour's garden was cleared of dense undergrowth.

dearieme said...

A near neighbour keeps chooks so Br'er Fox is aye about.