Angela Rayner rules out rent controls as she admits 1.5million home pledge getting harder to meet
She told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “It certainly got more challenging, and we’ve seen things like construction costs go up etc, which has had a real negative impact on that.
“But I’m not dropping it. I’m just saying that it is a really difficult stretched target.”
Pressed again, she said: “Yeah, I’m going to keep the target, but it’s like me saying I’m going to run the London Marathon in under five hours.
“That would be a real challenge for me, but I’d do it… Look, I am straight talking.
As Angela accepted this thoroughly poisoned chalice we may as well assume that she doesn't expect to be the one holding it when the next general election descends on us.
Maybe she doesn't expect Burnham to be the one dishing out ministerial jobs by then either.
4 comments:
Labour is simply an ongoing nightmare. It needs examining how 20% of the registered voters elected that many MPs. Yes it was a higher percentage of how many actually voted but there's something quite untoward about the whole thing.
If she wants the housing to be in the parts of England where people want to live then she'll be stymied by the lack of water supply and sewerage - because Greens have obstructed construction for year after year.
James - I agree, it has turned out to be a major problem with our system.
dearieme - I wonder if Hove is one of those desirable areas?
Post a Comment