Liz Jarvis MP slams Tories and Reform over climate vote
Rising temperatures have sparked fresh debate over climate policy and action.
Eastleigh MP Liz Jarvis criticised Reform and Conservative MPs for voting against the Carbon Budget Order, a parliamentary measure aimed at addressing climate change.
She said: "Time and time again, Reform and Tory politicians have failed to put the planet first.
"With temperatures soaring here in Eastleigh, it is farcical that those two parties are continuing to ignore the brutal impact of climate change."
Rising temperatures have sparked fresh debate over climate policy and action.
Eastleigh MP Liz Jarvis criticised Reform and Conservative MPs for voting against the Carbon Budget Order, a parliamentary measure aimed at addressing climate change.
She said: "Time and time again, Reform and Tory politicians have failed to put the planet first.
"With temperatures soaring here in Eastleigh, it is farcical that those two parties are continuing to ignore the brutal impact of climate change."
How very Lib Dem, the careless emission of fading middle-class formulae and casual evasion of sceptical effort. Scott Fitzgerald described it so well over a century ago and the problem is still with us. It is a problem too, probably bigger than it was in Fitzgerald's day.
She would talk the language she had talked for many years — her line — made up of the current expressions, bits of journalese and college slang strung together into an intrinsic whole, careless, faintly provocative, delicately sentimental.
F. Scott Fitzgerald - Tales of the Jazz Age (1922)
7 comments:
Well done, you: I tried some Fitzgerald once and found him nigh unreadable. In fact the only American novelist I can remember really enjoying was Mark Twain.
I read some Upton Sinclair after my father said "His politics were poisonous but otherwise he was a decent middlebrow writer." I don't remember finding any reason to disagree.
"the Carbon Budget Order, a parliamentary measure aimed at addressing climate change"
Has she got shares in it or is she just another political fuckwit?
dearieme - I've read some Upton Sinclair too, but his politics did skew his writing. As I recall, The Jungle is a powerful and memorable book, but a dismal read. Possibly accurate in its depiction of the Chicago meat packing business at that time, but the obsessively political eye is there too.
Jannie - in a sense she does have shares in it, the orthodox climate narrative being part of her career. One of her major career investments we might say, as it seems to yield consistent political dividends.
I dozed through the first half of England vs Panama but woke in time for the ITV half-time "expert analysis". It was a very Lib Dem sort of event. Mr Wright, sometime centre-forward, came across as being as empty-headed as he always did on the Beeb. Mr Roy Keane, the former violent midfielder, came disguised as a ranting Old Testament prophet. His analysis of what England need to do to win I can paraphrase as 'play better'. Lastly Mr Gary Neville, former full back, fascinated by looking as if he's aged twenty years in a short time. What has he been up to? But he too had nothing interesting to say.
It turned out that I slept through the second half too. Ain't it hot? It really needed clips of the Lib Dem chap falling into the water.
The problem with the Lib Dem chap falling in the water, was that he kept coming back up to the surface.
Penseivat
Lovely to see an account of the football above, instead of party politics.
dearieme - my analysis of what England need to do to win can be paraphrased as 'play better' too, so I must be in good company. No calls from ITV yet, but I'd probably turn them down as I'd have to watch the match.
Penseivat - that's Ed Davey for you, never takes the best interest of voters into consideration.
James - it's the Lib Dems, soon exhausted as a topic. Mrs H tried an excellent new pancake recipe today though.
Post a Comment