Pages

Thursday 20 October 2022

Spam and fish heads



Spam and fish head sales 'up a third' as shoppers try to save money

People are increasingly looking for ways to save cash as food price inflation hits a 42-year high - with Waitrose saying more shoppers are bargain hunting and using cheaper cuts of meat and fish.

And while fish heads may not be to everyone's taste, sales are up 34% this year as people increasingly use them in curries, soups, stews and stocks.

I'll east most things, but fish heads sound rather crunchy, although online recipes are easy to find. I seem to remember Spam fritters as being quite tasty, but it's a very long time since I tried them.

Cheap meals I remember from the past are tripe and onions, cow heel, dripping on toast and boiled onions sprinkled with grated cheese. All cheap and tasty. It reminds me how closely my parents had to watch the pennies in the fifties. We are still a long way from those days.

Boiled onions anyone? 

10 comments:

microdave said...

I don't like Spam!

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2hwqlw

A Daily Motion version because I'm SICK of YouTube's obtrusive adverts...

A K Haart said...

microdave - I use uBlock Origin ad blocker. I assume it blocks YouTube ads because I never see any.

Sam Vega said...

There's some scientific research that I read about which claims that the food you were brought up on plays a big part in determining your health in later life. That's more than a little worrying. I was fed masses of bread and dripping. I particularly liked the dark gravy stuff.

Oh, and black pudding. Fried in masses of lard.

If I suddenly stop posting, you'll know that it's finally got me.

The Jannie said...

AKH thank you for the tip about uBlock Origin: it may help save my sanity!

Scrobs. said...

Senora O'Blene's chicken soups are legendary!

Packed with cheap stock from old drumstick bones, and loads of really cheap vegetaables, her soups make a fabulous lunch!

Costs pennies!

Tammly said...

Ah Scrobs we too! Mrs Tammly makes lovely soups too nowadays now that she's got the measure of stock. Seems to be the secret to really good home made soup.

Bucko said...

Spam from Waitrose would not be my first idea for saving money. In fact, I've been buying Tescos own brand stuff for so long, I'm not sure I could go any cheaper.
I suppose stopping cooking food and moving on to daily beans on toast would save quite a bit, but things would need to get a whole lot worse

A K Haart said...

Sam - I still like dripping with the dark gravy stuff but haven't tasted it for ages. I still treat myself to fried black pudding but fried in oil rather than lard.

Jannie - it works for me on both Chrome and Edge.

Scrobs and Tammly - we make tasty soups too, although now we cheat and use a soup maker. Still cheap and tasty though - had one earlier this week.

Bucko - we shop at Tesco and sometimes go to Lidl which is even cheaper. Sometimes M&S for anything we can't find elsewhere.


microdave said...

@ AKH - uBlock Origin does indeed get rid of YouTube adverts, but I was thinking of other readers who may not use an adblocker, so I endeavoured to find a less intrusive version.

dearieme said...

"as well as versions of Safari prior to 13": sod it!