Pages

Thursday 6 October 2022

Scooter Smart



Scooter Smart is a project aimed at providing children with the confidence and skills to use a scooter as a mode of travel, particularly as a way of encouraging scooting as an alternative to the car and as a healthier way to travel to school.

Scooter Smart is delivered as a part of a school's Modeshift STARS travel plan. Children take part in a Scooter Smart training day to introduce and develop skills to encourage them to scoot to school.


I can't remember how I learned to hurtle around local pavements on my scooter as a child. I didn't have a helmet, kneepads or even the benefit of a Modeshift STARS travel plan training day. Just lucky I suppose.

6 comments:

Sam Vega said...

"From the same local authority team who brought you 'Bonkers for Conkers', 'Safe Scrumping', and 'Training for Tag'."

dearieme said...

Yeah, I can remember having a scooter. But they were pretty unsatisfactory, weren't they, especially compared to a trike. Or a bogie. Or a sledge. Or a bike. Actually, they were pretty unsatisfactory compared to Shanks's pony.

Scrobs. said...

My first modeshift was a go-cart made from four pram wheels and just a long plank as a seat!

Some evil sod nicked it...

...but after I went down here{ -

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.959405,0.5691134,3a,75y,270h,95.08t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTPHVmxEXDjVoPM9zPOQ9kQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

...at 150mph with no brakes!

A K Haart said...

Sam - very good, although I wouldn't be surprised if conker safety is already in the pipeline.

dearieme - I never thought much of scooters, although there was a long hill near to where we lived which was good for freewheeling while sitting on the footboard.

Scrobs - we had a go-cart made from four pram wheels too. It was quite good, but not as good as a bike. I don't know what happened to it. That hill looks exciting for anything with wheels and no brakes!

Vatsmith said...

You're missing the point, such schemes are not designed for the benefit of the users but to provide employment to people who might otherwise have to compete for proper, useful jobs on the open market.

A K Haart said...

Vatsmith - I suspect there aren't enough useful jobs on the open market and jobs of this kind are growing in response to that.