Pages

Thursday 2 June 2022

When I Knew Stephen Crane

 



I've read a few of Stephen Crane's books - a vividly poetic writer, well worth reading.

The little old woman began to weep. They were tears without a shame of grief. She allowed them to run unheeded down her cheeks. As she stared into space her son saw her regarding there the powers and influences that she had held in her younger life. She was in some way acknowledging to fate that she was now but withered grass, with no power but the power to feel the winds.

Stephen Crane - George's Mother (1896)

4 comments:

dearieme said...

I remember The Red Badge of Courage from boyhood. But I don't remember anything about it. Well, except that - thank God - it wasn't Moby Dick.

Sam Vega said...

Yes, I was also impressed by The Red Badge of Courage, although I can't remember details. I particularly like his short story The Bride Comes to Yellow Sky, which is a masterpiece of control.

Sam Vega said...

Oh, and a very fine little article by Willa Cather. Proper good writing, that. I wouldn't mind reading more by her.

A K Haart said...

dearieme - it's not a traditionally memorable book in that it doesn't have a beginning, middle and end and mostly depicts the confusion and chaos of war from a raw recruit's point of view. Maybe the confusion and chaos stay in the mind rather than characters and unfolding events.

Sam - I was impressed by The Red Badge of Courage, I've read it twice because it isn't easy to remember quite why it is impressive due to the way it was written. Or maybe most books are like that.

Yes it was a fine article and I like the way it was read - took me back to that office.