Pages

Friday 3 June 2022

A Lazy Jubilee



Oh, if I had done nothing simply from laziness! Heavens, how I should have respected myself, then. I should have respected myself because I should at least have been capable of being lazy; there would at least have been one quality, as it were, positive in me, in which I could have believed myself.

Fyodor Dostoevsky - Notes from the Underground (1864)

We didn’t do much to celebrate the Jubilee thingy yesterday. For the most part it was a lazy day reading in the garden. I did prepare a potato salad at some point, chucked in a few herbs from the garden and so on.

We also strolled into town to buy some more clothes pegs because the crappy plastic things keep breaking. Almost as if they are designed to break, although at £1 a dozen it isn’t worth becoming a clothes peg activist demanding more quality in basic products.

Apart from that it was an unusually lazy day and for us that is unusual. We like a few jobs to do and aren’t at all keen on staying around the house and garden all day, even if all we do is go out somewhere for a coffee. I did water the garden later on, but yes, on the whole it was a lazy jubilee day.

3 comments:

Woodsy42 said...

I cut the back garden hedge on the basis that should Her Maj choose to visit she would be pleased to see such enthusiastic tidiness in her realm. Sadly she was unable to come and see it due, I understand, to being busy in London.

Anonymous said...

Excellent news that you were lazy, especially as you seem OK about it. I tend to make lists of things to do, and I'm gratified if I "get a lot done" in the day. Silly, really, and I wish I could learn the art of innocent laziness.

A K Haart said...

Woodsy - maybe she dislikes tidy hedges. Must be something like that because London isn't up to much compared to a tidy hedge.

Anon - I used to make lists at work, but they just grew and highlighted the jobs I'd never get done.