Pages

Monday 30 November 2020

Five Boys Chocolate

 




Mrs H and I were talking about chocolate this morning and how our tastes have changed over the decades. Among various brands Mrs H happened to mention was Fry's Five Boys chocolate. I barely remember it, but that may be because Mrs Salt's sweetshop didn't stock it.

We agreed that much of the chocolate we used to enjoy would probably seem too sweet now, although even at the time it is surprising how few favourites we really had. In particular, any chocolates purporting to have a strawberry centre. They always turned out to be a core of pink goo with an excessively sweet and distinctly chemical flavour. Which is probably what it was - sugary fondant with artificial flavouring and colouring.

I remember liking Fry's Chocolate Cream though. Maybe peppermint tasted less artificial than some flavours. As for Quality Street, I must have eaten loads of them because they were one of my mother's favourites, but there were only one or two I remember enjoying. The green triangle was my least favourite of the Quality Street selection - a kind of ersatz chocolate pap with bits in it.  

These days it's dark chocolate with coffee for me and that's about it. I never became a chocoholic. That horrible strawberry fondant probably had something to do with it.

6 comments:

Sam Vega said...

It seemed we were all bio-programmed to go for anything with a soft strawberry centre. I guess it might have been because we were familiar with jam, so knew it would be sweet. I can remember liking Fry's Chocolate Cream. Probably the same minty goo that they now put in After Eights as well. You're wrong about the green triangles, though. I thought them rather sophisticated.

microdave said...

"I remember liking Fry's Chocolate Cream though"

Same here. I'm sure I saw some in the local Sainsbury's recently - I must have a look next time I pop in...

Nessimmersion said...

Assuming some vestige of normality survives next year, the chocolate centre in York is worth a visit.
Especially liked the savoury unsweetened chocolate drink as preferred by the original Mayans

A K Haart said...

Sam - I don't think I associated those soft strawberry centres with jam. My mother's strawberry jam often failed to set properly so we had to eat it with a spoon.

microdave - yes it is still being made - Tesco sells it too I believe.

Nessimmersion - we haven't visited York for years. A relative used to live within an easy drive so we went once or twice when we visited them, but they moved to Derbyshire near to where we are.

Scrobs. said...

Mrs O'Blene has requested that I look for some more mini Bounty bars this morning!

They're in the 'Celebration' box, but have now vanished for some reason!

A K Haart said...

Scrobs - I'd forgotten Bounty bars. I used to like them but haven't tried one for decades.