Pages

Sunday 24 May 2020

The great spearmint issue




Mrs H and I drink a few herbal tea concoctions as pleasant alternatives to the endless tea and coffee of our parents’ generation. We don’t touch the soft drinks many folk seem so keen on.

One of our favourites is camomile tea but recently I managed to cock up a purchase and ended with camomile and spearmint tea. Disappointing but I tried it and to my surprise rather enjoyed it. But there is a problem. I can’t smell or drink the stuff without being reminded of spearmint flavoured chewing gum I last chewed about sixty years ago. Some gum was peppermint flavour, but some of it was spearmint and that’s the one I associate so firmly with chewing gum.

I suppose flavour and aroma memories have to be extremely durable from a survival point of view. It is obviously a good idea to remember safe tastes and smells, but I wish I could tone down the spearmint chewing gum link.

3 comments:

Sam Vega said...

Spearmint is a superior minty flavour, far better than peppermint, in my opinion. And anything to perk up camomile, which I always find rather dull and dusty on its own.

Scrobs. said...

Can't really get on with herbal tea...

Judging by the number of 'energy' drink cans chucked out of old bangers these days, the drivers appear to be the last sort of moron who actually needs any energy to be a slack-jawed, miserable, tattooed plonker!

I do enjoy a large mug Yorkshire Gold though...

A K Haart said...

Sam - we like camomile but find we have to be choosy because as you say some of it is dull. Twinings camomile we find far too dull.

Scrobs - I like the occasional mug of Yorkshire Gold too. Too strong for Mrs H so I have it all to myself.