Pages

Thursday 16 January 2020

Too long



This morning I tried on a new shirt at one of the shops in our local shopping mall. I liked the colour, the fit and the price, but the arms were two to three inches too long. Explains the large price reduction I suppose, but if my arms were that long I'd almost be able to fondle my knees while standing to attention.

No doubt lots of people come across this kind of thing all the time. Or maybe my arms are shrinking because I wouldn't usually bother trying on a shirt if it claims to be my size. Usually I buy a shirt, take it home, try it on and the fit is fine. Oh well - the price reduction was quite large.

Mrs H recently had a similar problem with walking trousers. She isn't short for a woman but a particular brand of women's walking trousers supposedly made for a short leg length turned out to be several inches too long when Mrs H tried them on. They would probably fit a woman six feet tall, but if they were a short leg length, who were medium and long intended for?

5 comments:

Sam Vega said...

That's why I don't like shopping for clothes, and probably why I'm not all that interested in them. Trying them on is fraught with difficulty and time-consuming, and I can never remember my measurements.

Doonhamer said...

Can you still get those springy armlets used to keep shirt sleeves at right length.

Scrobs. said...

I've always had to take up any jeans I've bought, and have to remember to wash them before doing that, as they always shrink a bit, and the resulting white area after re-letting-them-down always looks awful!

I think in Jermyn Street, the home of shirters, they will offer a choice of sleeve lengths, collar sizes, etc, and will happily take a hundred quid from you for the privilege!

wiggiatlarge said...

I can't find the link I wanted to a recent report on online returns but this gives a small piece of the information.
https://fashionunited.uk/news/retail/online-returns-to-reach-5-6-billion-pounds-by-2023/2018121740591
Because of the variation in sizing of clothes and footware, people are buying multiples and returning those that don.t fit for refunds, with some it has become a way of wearing a garment once making it unsaleable and the returning, the cast as you can see is huge.
Personally I would never buy clothing online for the sizing reason and the fact what you see is not necessarily what you get re quality colour etc and that applies to most items for the home outside of white goods and the like.
The fuss of returning stuff negates the ease of buying.

A K Haart said...

Sam - I don't mind shopping for clothes but I soon lose interest if the first thing I try on doesn't fit.

Doonhamer - I think so but in the distant past I never liked wearing them.

Scrobs - I'm a long way from Jermyn Street in more than one sense.

Wiggia - interesting link but I'm not surprised. We know someone who buys several sizes of clothing online and returns the items which don't fit. Seems like a right faff to me.