Pages

Sunday 24 March 2019

Blue lagoon





Dene Quarry near Cromford in Derbyshire - we skirted the quarry on our walk today. A sense of scale is indicated by parked vehicles towards the top left of the photo.

Whenever we walk by this quarry I have a sense of unease at the size of it and what it says about our demand for raw materials. It is easy enough to put aside such thoughts because if asked are you prepared to do without x, y, z then my honest answer would be no thanks. But the sense of unease remains. 

3 comments:

Nessimmersion said...

Ah but, we are told we must spend resources on recycling as we have no holes in the ground that need filling.

Sam Vega said...

I share the sense of unease, and often find myself asking whether I could make do with less. I didn't always think like this, and wonder where it came from. Is it constant exposure to environmentalist complaints? The sense that politicians are so bad they can't protect supply chains? Or maybe just getting older...?

A K Haart said...

Nessimmersion - this is certainly a massive hole in the ground. Being limestone it may not be suitable for domestic waste though - I'm not sure.

Sam - I think it comes from having made do with less in the past. Not only that but modern life is obviously wasteful and maybe it isn't difficult to see - especially in other people.