Pages

Saturday 30 March 2019

Loud




The other day found us enjoying a pleasant lunch in a local restaurant. Two women sat at a nearby table, one of whom was a talker. By that I mean she never stopped, as if the whole point of lunch was to talk, talk talk. It was all prattle too - all me, me, me. Nothing interesting, no current affairs, no unusual experiences, no insights. And she was loud – strewth was she loud.

She was loud in the way that children are loud because they have not yet learned to moderate their voices and conduct a conversation which is rather more than a series of personal announcements.

Yet in my experience a loud voice can be an asset if linked to a quietly assertive personality but it’s a fine line to tread. I don’t have a loud voice so I don’t need to tread such a line which perhaps is just as well.

3 comments:

Sam Vega said...

Yes, big voices are sometimes OK, but never if they are coupled with a small mind. Whenever I encounter situations like the one you describe, I have a strong sense of embarrassment. People with no sense of public shame make me uneasy, and it's probably something to do with your point about how children talk; and about how I was corrected as a child.

Scrobs. said...

Empty vessels an' that, Mr H.

I'm sorry your lunch was affected, but enjoyed the write-up in your local rag, about a silly, pampered, shrieking old old biddy having to pull spaghetti from her hair, and empty the tomato sauce from her handbag, while an elegant gentleman and his fragrant wife quietly left the establishement, leaving a big tip, and somehow removing the air from the tyres on the rusty old car parked outside...

A K Haart said...

Sam - they make me slightly uneasy too. It's ridiculous because it doesn't work like that, but I sometimes wonder if I missed out on the assertiveness game.

Scrobs - I missed that one, but it wasn't us. If only...