It's another example of Labour politicians attacking traditional political targets and a useful angle on the heavily touted 'cost of living crisis'.
The Great British meal deal should make you proud
I moved from New York to Britain and I keep getting asked when I’m going back.
Not by my family, or my friends back home, but by British people. They tell me about flat wages, looming youth unemployment and an air of decline throughout the country. But no one talks about lunch, because everyone here takes it for granted.
I used to work in retail in Manhattan, and I would bring my own sad sandwich for lunch every day. Sometimes I would splash out on a slice of pizza. After tax, a deli sandwich cost almost as much as my hourly wage. Buying that was out of the question.
John Healey has found the wrong scapegoat for the cost-of-living crisis. Squeezing supermarkets harder won’t make lunch cheaper
The Great British meal deal should make you proud
- More than a third of Britons buy at least one meal deal weekly
- Suppliers became 4% more productive in the last year thanks to supermarkets' pressure
- In Britain, it takes just 10 minutes of work to earn enough to buy a meal deal – in Tokyo, it takes almost twice as long
I moved from New York to Britain and I keep getting asked when I’m going back.
Not by my family, or my friends back home, but by British people. They tell me about flat wages, looming youth unemployment and an air of decline throughout the country. But no one talks about lunch, because everyone here takes it for granted.
I used to work in retail in Manhattan, and I would bring my own sad sandwich for lunch every day. Sometimes I would splash out on a slice of pizza. After tax, a deli sandwich cost almost as much as my hourly wage. Buying that was out of the question.
John Healey has found the wrong scapegoat for the cost-of-living crisis. Squeezing supermarkets harder won’t make lunch cheaper
4 comments:
I used to buy meal deals for lunch sometimes before I retired. As the lass says they were good value: a decent sandwich, a snack of some kind, and a bottle of pop or fizzy water. Carry it back to lunch "al desko'".
Another one for good old Andy.
No meal deal more than £2. You can eat it on the bus and still have change from a fiver!
If Brits can afford to buy meal deals every day there can't be much of a 'cost of living crisis'.
dearieme - it was tomato sandwiches made at home for me, sometimes a sausage roll at the nearby pub, but not often.
Mike - don't suggest that, he's capable of doing it.
Vatsmith - I agree, there is no 'cost of living crisis', not in the sense Labour is pushing.
Post a Comment